So after the rainy mess of June, I feel like my time here in Vancouver is slipping away too quickly! I've been working crazily on data collection for the past couple weeks, and finally the end is in sight. I finished all of my interviews yesterday (yay!) and I luckily have some help with the 5 transcriptions I have left. After that, it's only compiling quotes for a booklet to be designed and printed by Friday and plan a group meeting, a feedback tool, and food for Saturday. Does that sound like a lot? I'm trying to tell myself I have enough time this week to get everything done. If I can pull it all together (which, undoubtedly I will do with my crazy type-A personality --I feel like a couple of you might have giggled at that...), it will all result in a lovely thank you reception for the ladies on Saturday morning. And then it will be debriefing and report writing time! Having to write reports doesn't actually sound so terrible after the frenzy of transcribing lately (I swear, this project alone has given me carpal tunnel).
While I've been busy with my project I've also tried to fit in fun stuff here and there. I've met several girls here that are around my age and have enjoyed getting to know them and go explore a bit! Here are some of the highlights:
Back in June, a colleague's son graduated from college. She is from Swaziland and made a huge African buffet to celebrate his accomplishment.
 |
| Too bad I can't remember any of the names. But all yummy! |
For one of the interviews, we had to meet the participant at a community centre in Chinatown. Afterwards, she was kind enough to show us around the area!
 |
| All kinds of Chinese food staples. |
 |
| Being super touristy in Dr. Sun Yat Sen Garden. |
The City of Surrey hosted a Doors Open Surrey event where you could go to all kinds of buildings and churches and mosques, etc., that are typically not open to the public. It was a great experience, and thus deserving of it's own post. Coming soon!
I finally made it to Granville Island! What a fun place, can't wait to take the bf there to tour the brewery.
 |
| Beautiful view from Granville Island. |
 |
| Houseboat on Granville Island. |
I celebrated Canada Day with my partner's daughter and some of her friends. We went to an outdoor event and then I had my first "real" night out in Vancouver. We went to a dance club for hip hop karaoke. Yep. No one actually sang, but I did get to do a lot of dancing. And we all know how much I love dancing.
 |
| Rocking my thrifted Canada scarf at the Surrey Canada Day celebration. |
Then I celebrated the Fourth of July! The host family and I took a jaunt over the border into Blaine, WA, where I had probably the most delicious burger and beer of my life. Truly American, right there.
 |
| Beautiful sunset in Blaine, WA on the Fourth of July. |
One Friday night, I decided to explore the China Night Market. It was full of cheap iphone cases and ridiculous foods. It happened to be located right beside a casino, so we dipped inside for a bit. It was my first actual experience in a casino ever. I won $2.50, then lost $5.00. Womp womp. But it was a fun time. I swear there should be a how-to when you walk in the door, though.
 |
| Lights at the China Night Market in Richmond, BC. |
 |
| Excited. And slightly blurry and windblown. |
The weather has been absolutely beautiful lately, so we explored a bit in Stanley Park on a Saturday afternoon. I will have to go back though, because it was hot and we decided to go drink a beer instead of walk around more. Oops.
 |
| Funky twisty tree in Stanley Park. |
Thanks for following my adventures- more to come soon!
No comments:
Post a Comment